Wrongful Death



We hear about accidents every day. In a state where the population is booming, it may seem impossible to go without an accident here and there. The most devastating accidents in the state can bring about the most severe injuries and even fatalities. You never expect to lose somebody you care about to a horrific traffic accident, but these accidents can truly happen in the blink of an eye. What can you do when a loved one’s life was taken by the hands of another on our roads, whether it was a child or an adult? When someone’s reckless road actions have led to harm, you might have a case. We can help you every step of the way.

Protecting Rights After the Loss of a Loved One

Your loved one has been taken from you after negligence by another party. The stress of losing your loved one is already causing you emotional stress, but now you have to deal with the mounting piles of bills associated with the accident as well. This is one of the most distressing parts of these cases because it isn’t fair to have to pick up the pieces when somebody has taken your loved one from you. We want to help make your claim run more smoothly. Here are some things that you should always remember when you are trying to preserve your case:

You should always keep the statute of limitations in mind. The rules state that you must file your claim within two years of your loved one’s death if you wish to recover damages. This means, if they have been injured and spent time in the hospital before passing away, the clock does not start ticking until they have actually died.
If you have witness statements, photographs and more relating to the accident, you want to make sure that you have these in a safe place.
A police investigation, which happens with every fatality or severe accident, can help you in the case of your claim. If the police have placed fault on a party and this shows in the police report, you may be able to obtain copies and move forward with stating your position.
Who is Permitted to Bring a Claim?

Many people could bring a wrongful death suit. This doesn’t mean that neighbors and friends of the lost loved one are able to bring a claim, as there are still eligibility requirements. If you are someone who has had a meaningful and close relationship with a decedent, you may be able to bring a claim. This includes a spouse, children, domestic partners, personal representatives, and many more. In some states, they follow the law that a personal representative is the only person who can bring a claim to split money accordingly with all those who have suffered from the death.

What Damages Am I Entitled To?

It sounds difficult, sometimes impossible, to put a number on the passing of your loved one. However, based on the circumstances of your case and the losses you and others have suffered, you are able to claim damages as a result. Some of the damages that you might be entitled to include medical bills that have accumulated while your loved one spent time in the hospital, burial expenses, lost wages due to loss of income, emotional suffering on part of the family, and punitive damages. Punitive damages aren’t always available but they are given in cases where a defendant is being punished for their reckless actions.

If you have lost a loved one at the hands of a serious accident, you may have questions on how to move forward. The losses are devastating and you want to put your case in the hands of someone you trust. Call us for more information on how we can help you in your time of need.